Making A Chinese Dragon

For my second sculpture, my wife, K-M, requested a Chinese Dragon. She’s a dragon in Chinese astrology and may be just a little bit obsessed by them.

Making the dragon was a huge learning experience. I made the head first, and this process forced me to refine my design skills and precision.





The body came next, and this is where the real challenge and long hours came into play. It involved cutting a straight auger pipe into many individual sections, polishing them, and then welding them together to make the serpentine curves of the body.



The legs proved to be a resource challenge. I had a few ideas about what would look good, but couldn’t find pieces of scrap that would do the job. I finally stumbled upon the perfect pieces at a clearing sale.


I didn’t keep an accurate record, but I estimate there is approximately 500 hours in this piece.